A Man with an Ox Goad can Change the World (Judges 3)


Judges 3.31 After him was Shamgar the son of Anath, who killed six hundred men of the Philistines with an ox goad; and he also delivered Israel. [njkv]

We don't know a lot about Shamgar except for the fact that he was the son of Anath and he was one of the Judges of Israel who killed 600 Philistines with an ox goad. The verse seems out of place and there is some conjecture as to where it sits in history. However from reading between the lines we can safely assume one thing - Shamgar wasn't a trained military officer. He was a farmer. Even though his name meant 'sword', he was someone most likely skilled in agriculture rather than war.

In his hands he carried an ox goad. This is a traditional farming implement used to spur and guide oxen while pulling a cart. It was a long wooden pole tipped at one end by a sharpened iron point and a flattened chisel-like blade at the other. The sharp end was used to poke through the tough hide of the oxen to keep them motivated while pulling the plough. The other end was used to scrape the plowshare free of roots, thorns and accumulated clay.

What I find amazing about this story is that Shamgar was prepared to step out and fight a battle with just an ox goad. He used what was in his hands to change a nation!

I am someone who has lived most of my life with the thought that God has something important for me to do. People I respect have prophesied all kinds of things over my life and at the time these resonated a big fat "YES" inside of me. But then I begin to look around and I see people better skilled, better placed and better equipped than I am. What I have is not enough. So I hold back.

I wonder what thoughts were going through Shamgar's mind just before the battle? Was He scared? I wonder if he felt under-qualified and under-skilled to face the Philistines? Did he hesitate?

What I am learning is that when we compare ourselves to others, all we do is devalue who we are and what we have to offer. I believe that every single person has been given specific skills and abilities. Scientists says that the average person has between 500-700 different skills and abilities. You could call them talents or maybe strengths. When you combine these strengths with personality type, personal experience and training, you end up with a unique package which is not duplicated anywhere in the world.

No one else can do what I do, the way I do it. I am unique.
God has a purpose for my life. He has placed in my hands exactly what I need, for the task at hand. I need to stop comparing myself to others and step out in faith, trusting that He is with me. And I can change the world.

Father let me never forget that I am unique, that You have a specific purpose for me and You have gifted me with specific strengths to see this come to pass. Help me to step out in faith and see the enemy put to flight.

0 comments: