Sticks and Stones (James 3)

James 3.3-5 A bit in the mouth of a horse controls the whole horse. A small rudder on a huge ship in the hands of a skilled captain sets a course in the face of the strongest winds. A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything—or destroy it! [msg]

There is a place in England called the Cotswolds. Although I have never been there, from what I have seen via photo's and television, it is a very beautiful place with gentle green hillsides, sleepy villages and known by visitors and locals alike as being so 'typically English'. It was here back in 1894 that GF Northall first recorded a phrase used by the locals in his book 'Four Phrases of Four Counties'. You may have heard it before, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

This same phrase has been repeated down through the generations and is one of the biggest mistruths carelessly taught to children all over the world.

Like most of us, I have experienced the destructive power of words. Being a rather plump child I was on the receiving end of my fair share of unkind words and I must confess that I have also been guilty of doing the same to others. I am one of those people who have the tendency to speak first and think later. How I wish I had the ability to go back in time and erase some of the stupid things I have said in the heat of the moment. Or those things I've said jokingly but were hurtful. But I can't and even after I have apologised, the damage has been done.

Singer David Barnes summed it all up in his lyrics, "You would have kept those words on your tongue, if you had known the hurt they had done. While your fists stay by, right by your side, your words they bruise me deep inside. I'd rather have sticks and stones and broken bones than the words you say to me, cause i know bruises heal and cuts will seal but your words beat the life from me."

Our words are powerful. They have the ability to encourage people to greatness or destroy their passion and dreams. I really want to be someone who is known as an encourager. Every day, in every conversation I have, God has given me that opportunity.

In this passage, James is resonating the writings of King Solomon from the book of Proverbs by highlighting the power of words. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. (Proverbs 18:21)

Lord help me to be a person who speak words of life to those I come in contact with. Help me to take responsibility for what I say and help me to think first before I speak. Let my words bring honour to You.

0 comments: