It's Amazing Who You Meet in a Cemetery! (Mark 5)

Mark 5.2 And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit. [nkjv]

The shocking news is quickly making it's way around the globe - Michael Jackson is dead!

I must admit, when I first heard I had mixed feelings. I've never met him. I've never been to one of his concerts and I don't think I even currently own one of his albums yet he has been part of my life right from a young age. Every Saturday morning I'd watch the 'Jackson 5' strut their stuff on TV. When Michael performed 'Billy Jean' at the 1983 Motown 25 Concert, I remember the very next day wearing a single white glove to school to show my dedication as a fan and not to mention my extreme 'coolness'. Then there's the hours spent alone in my room practicing the 'moonwalk' and imagining that moment in time when I, the geekiest guy in school, get to show off my super cool dance moves while my fellow students look on in awe.

I did get to meet Michael's brother, Jermaine Jackson, about 20 years ago. We chatted for a little while while I cleaned his hotel room. But that's about it.

I think that there will be a lot said about Michael in the weeks ahead. Some good and some not so good. His life was riddled with controversy. People will have mixed reactions to his death. There is a church group in America claiming to represent God called Westboro Baptist Church. They released a press statement today saying that God was behind the heart attack which killed Jackson and 'praised God' that he was now in hell.

I visited their website and it made me ill. How can people who call themselves Christians represent God that way? Does He really hate people? The people at Westboro Church seem to think so. They target gays, those in the military, prostitutes, and even Joyce Meyer gets a mention! According to their beliefs, I'm sure God hates me as well for for even suggesting they might be misled.

But as I read through the Bible I see a very different picture of God.

Jesus got into a boat and sailed across the Sea of Galilee. He was exhausted. He travelled through a hurricane. He had to deal with disbelieving disciples. He arrived and met a demon possessed guy. Healed him. Then got back into the boat and sailed straight back to the other side.

Jesus went through all of that just for one man!

One man who society rejected. One man lost in a helpless situation. One man who He loved.

You can't tell me that God doesn't love people.

Regardless of the life he lived, the choices he made, Michael Jackson was someone dearly loved by Almighty God. No matter how much the people at Westboro Baptist Church protest, they can never change that.

2 comments:

Unknown | June 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I cannot believe he´s gone. I heard the news this morning and I was devastated and shocked to hear that the man that has infuenced me in so many ways has died.

His music will live on and I hope that the media will regret how bad they have treated him over the last years.

I can´t stop crying and I hoping that he will find his peace in heaven.

R.I.P.


http://www.aufregung.blogspot.com/

Anonymous | January 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Once again Joseph you have tied a current event in with a simple truth from the Bible. I love the way you do that! Once again I'm reminded that God's message can be found anywhere we look - even on the front pages of our newspapers!!