God Uses Mistakes (1 Samuel 3)

1 Samuel 3.10 Now the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' And Samuel answered, 'Speak, for Your servant hears' [nkjv]

Every time God called Samuel, Samuel thinking it was Eli, responded incorrectly. But the great thing was he at least responded. How many times does God speak to us through His Word and we do nothing!

Fear and doubt give way to procrastination and insecurity. We question 'was that really God or just me?' We worry about the consequences of stepping in the wrong direction. 'What if it all blows up in my face?' 'What if I step out of the will of God?' And all that happens is that we remain right where we are, we miss an opportunity and end up doing nothing.

But like Samuel, even if we step out in the wrong direction, God can cause us to discover the right way through our mistakes! There are so many scriptures which come to mind which reinforce the truth that God is faithful and He will lead and guide me even when I make a mistake.

He persists with us. I heard a preacher say once that God is the God of the second chance. I don't know where I would be today if God hadn't persisted with me. He is patient and kind.

Lord please help me be a man of action. Direct my steps today and even if I make a mistake and wander from the right path, please lead and guide me back to the place you want me to walk.

What was God showing you in this chapter?

1 comments:

Kuda Gumbie | July 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Haha so it took me FOREVER to leave this comment but i'm sure you expected that lol.

I love this passage because it yells out to me and this is how... Samuel was mistaking God's voice for Eli. SAMUEL WAS MISTAKING GOD'S VOICE FOR ELI.

Looking back on the way my life has, and you know quite a bit because you were there for a very important chunk of it, quite a few people have mentioned to me that God is calling me to something. There were the two random meetings at Hillsong in 04, you, Pastor Tim, Nick Resce, the guys from crusade who i got to know over the last 2 years and maybe more. NEVER, not once did I ever go to God with this until last year. THAT'S ABOUT 4 YEARS OF NOT RESPONDING TO GOD!!! I always looked to the people who were saying to me God's calling you to do something and only last year did i finally turn to God instead and do as Samuel in v10.

How many people mistake God's voice for somebody else and simply go back to bed?