LOL! (Philippians 4)

Philippians 4.4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [niv]

In recent years some medical doctors have used "laugh therapy" with their patients. I heard a story about a lady who was healed through laughter. Her doctor prescribed a steady diet of "The Three Stooges." She was instructed to watch the videos of their old films as much as possible. It worked. She actually laughed her way to health. Although there is not a lot of scientific proof when it comes to laughter as a medicine, researchers are gathering evidence that the way we feel can directly affect chemicals in our bodies, influencing everything from our brain to our heart. Laughter is thought to decrease stress and lower blood pressure. It may even increase blood flow and act as a natural pain killer.

Even though this is a relatively new and unknown frontier in modern medical science, King Solomon wrote about it thousands of years ago in Proverbs. "A merry heart does good like a medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones."

The Bible says a lot about joy and laughter. As I have been reading, the one thing that God has been speaking to me over an over again is the fact that the source of my joy is not found in what I own, who I know, how much money I have or how healthy I feel. I could be walking through hell on earth, yet according to scripture, still be able to lift my hands, sing and rejoice!

The source of my joy is God. He is good. He is full of grace and love. I find that when I put my trust in Him, even when things don't make sense, I still have peace. I view life from a different perspective. I see things how He sees them and I am able to laugh in the face of adversity.

The Apostle Paul knew this better than anyone. He was whipped, beaten, tortured, shipwrecked, imprisoned, falsely accused and suffered illness, yet through it all was able to rejoice. Amazingly he even wrote this verse while imprisoned in a damp, dark, cold, rat infested Roman jail cell.

The trick of the enemy is to keep us focused on the things around us, because he knows that when we do that, we take our eyes off God and off the source of joy. Eventually our strength will fail and we will fall.

How he must hate it when a Christian stands up against all odds and lifts their hands and voice to praise their God and laughs out loud! I want to be that person!


7 comments:

Pammy | August 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Phil 4:8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I heard on the radio yesterday someone speaking about happiness and some of the "secrets" to leading a life that is full of happiness. Amazingly 80% of the thoughts that go through our head are negative ones. It is important to take every thought captive and spend more time focussing on the 20% of positive thoughts that go through our minds

Juneyew | August 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM

Phillipians 4:4
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!

This verse leapt out at me. As a fibromyalgia sufferer. It is often all that gets me through the day.
Proverbs 17.22 is a favorite verse of mine 'A cheerful heart is good medicine'.

Strangely enough, there are those that are annoyed by joy, those that catch joy and become joyful themselves and those that want to know why!

PhilM | August 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Phil 4:11-13 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

I love this! What a source of encouragement and hope - that living (ie. inferring fullness of life, not just existing) is not bound to what we have, where we reside, or the circumstances of our life.

Do I feel like my life sucks when people let me down, work is monotonous or Ive had a bad week? Then this should set off the alarm bells that something is wrong...!

Rather than getting depressed and having a moan, this should flag to me that I need to change my attitude and consciously lose my reliance on my circumstances and look to Christ - through whom I can do all things, my comforter, my strength and my rock, my sustainer and my Saviour.

Kevin Nicholson | August 24, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Philippians 4:13I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

It is a reminder to me that when I feel inadequate or unable to discern where I am headed I need to look to Jesus for strength to continue.

Nothing is beyond us if we accept the strength of purpose that Jesus inspires in us.

Anonymous | August 24, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Phil 4:6-7 "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

As I read these verses (a couple of times) I just had this urge to smile! I felt the tension in my body just lift and my face just relaxed into a great big grin. I'd had a day looking after three pre-schoolers (one with an autism related disorder) and it had been pretty full on - followed by the usual looking after the family routine. Tea prepared, cleaned up after, lunches for the workers made - you know the mundane stuff of life. And then I came back to these verses and I was just reminded again of how much God loves me - loves us! No deep theology involved - just a simple awareness.

Don't worry about anything - just talk to the Father. Every part of our lives matters to Him. It's easy to get caught up in daily routines that can weigh us down a bit if we let them but He wants to take care of all the worry for us.

Yep I can feel that grin creeping back...

Anonymous | August 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM

P.S. Great comment Phil

kerryn | August 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Phil 4:5 "and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Sometimes when situations arise we convince ourselves that it is understandable and acceptable to be afraid and anxious. We look at a situation and we think anybody would feel fear in that so it is ok. What I like about this verse is that it distinctly points out thet God gives us peace which surpasses all understanding. I remember 1 situation in particular when I was faced with a particularly bad situation and I prayed to God desperate for release from my fear and disappointment. Instantly it came and it was beyond understanding.I have never felt anything like it. When I should have been devastated God gave me peace and people around me kept saying "I don't know how you do it.. you are so strong". I know it wasn't me and the only way I had that strength was through God. We need to understand that Christ strengthens us in all situations and I think we should never accept that it is a justified feeling because the world says so. Acknowledge it and give it to God to deal with and then he will heal you and peace will come.